The Eagle Ford School 1601 Chalk Hill Road
PDF Print E-mail
 
The Eagle Ford School Today

The following is an excerpt from the Landmark Designation Report prepared by Marcel Quimby of Quimby/McCoy Preservation Architecture, commissioned by the Dallas Mexican American Historical League and partially funded by a grant provided by the Old Oak Cliff Conservation League. 

{The Eagle Ford School was built in 1923 and is Gothic Revival architectural style.

The historic significance of the Eagle Ford School is twofold with the first being its direct association with
several historic communities in western Dallas County that the school served - the Eagle Ford community,
Trinity Portland Cement Company's residential villages, Arcadia Park (an unincorporated community) and
rural residents in this area of the county. Second, Eagle Ford school is the only remaining building
associated with the Eagle Ford community and the Trinity Portland Cement Company, the largest
manufacturer of portland cement and other cement products in Dallas county from 1909 until 1970.

Eagle Ford School typically provided elementary and middle school education. Most smaller school
districts and Dallas County Schools during this time did not have high schools. However Mrs. Bosse,
noted in a later interview with the Dallas Morning News that prior to annexation by Dallas Schools in
1928, Eagle Ford School provided a high school department.55 Students who wished to pursue high school
could attend the nearby Cement City high school or a Dallas Pubic School high school - either Dallas High
School in downtown Dallas, or Oak Cliff School after 1915.

Bonnie Parker is thought to have attended Eagle Ford School in the 1920s.56 Born in 1910 in Rowena,
Texas, Bonnie, her mother and two siblings moved to Dallas County upon the death of her father in 1914.
The family lived with her maternal grandparents, Frank and Mary Krause in a rural area adjacent to the
Trinity Portland Cement Company.57 It is possible that Bonnie did attend Eagle Ford School (the second or
existing building) during elementary or middle school while living nearby at her grandparent's home. She
later attended Cement City School High School but dropped out in the summer following her sophomore
year and married Roy Thornton on September 25, 1926 (several days before her 16th birthday).

 
The Struck Farmstead - 1923 N. Edgefield
PDF Print E-mail
 

The Struck Family Farmstead was built in 1890.  The Victorian home is in remarkably good shape.  

The following information is courtesy of David Landrum, Student UT Arlington

{Land is listed as being owned by H. Struck in Murphy and Bolanz books that were map makers for the city of Dallas and surrounding communities during the period of 1880-1920.

These maps were done for the city and show original plots and land along with owners names.

Henry Struck is listed as living at the southwest corner of Waite and Stafford in Worley’s City Directory in 1901 and 1910
Original land owned by Henry (Heinrich) and Anna Struck who are listed as pioneers of the Dallas area on Western Heights Cemetery historic plaque. This is the same cemetery where Clyde Barrow is interred

 
Neighborhood Friendly Development - Oak Cliff Live! Episode One
PDF Print E-mail
alt 
 
OOCCL Christmas Party 2016
PDF Print E-mail
alt 
 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>
Page 7 of 114