Duck & Cover! 2nd in Speaker Series
PDF Print E-mail


Bert the Turtle cartoon that says: He has his shelter on his back.  YOU must learn to find shelter

The OOCCL is proud to sponsor a new community fourm, The 2017 Oak Cliff Live! Speakers Series.  The second forum in the series is coming up:

Wednesday, March 15 7:00pm

(Happy Half Hour starts at 6:30pm)
The Turner House, 401 N. Rosemont Ave.

Duck and Cover!

How to Take Care of Yourself, Your Family and Your Community When Disaster Strikes

 


Please join us at 6:30 for a Happy Half Hour of wine, beer, light snacks and conversation with neighbors.  The panel will begin promptly at 7:00pm and we will adjourn about 8:00pm.
 
Legendary Top Ten Records Now a Non-profit
PDF Print E-mail
 

The legendary TOP TEN RECORDS shop on Jefferson Blvd will become a new non profit community operated record and video store!

TOP TEN RECORDS , which opened in 1958, as has been run by Mike Polk since 1978, has been a staple on Jefferson Blvd and a long time supporter of local music from generation to generation.

The vision of the shop will include records, videos and other physical media for sale and loan. We will also be creating an online database and online video channel of rare content with support from Dallas institutions and archives like SMU and The Dallas Municipal Archives.

The new non-profit board will be made up via people from The Texas Theatre as well as Jeremy Spracklin, curator for the G William Jones Film & Video Collection at SMU. Mike Polk will remain active as a board member.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

 
Important Landmark Designation Hearing!!!
PDF Print E-mail
On February 6 at 1:00 PM, the Landmark Commission will consider each of these West Dallas properties for historic designation: The Eagle Ford School at 1601 Chalk Hill Road and the Struck Farmstead at 1923 N. Edgefield.  

Your presence and support at this hearing would be greatly appreciated!  

The meeting is in the Council Chambers on the 6th floor of 1500 Marilla St.  Parking meters are in the rear.  The meeting will begin at 1:00 and these cases will be first.  

West Dallas has no City of Dallas designated historic properties.  The Mountain Creek Interurban Bridge on Jefferson Blvd. near Arcadia Park is moving through the process now.  If all three make it through to formal designation, it will go a long way towards correcting this slight.  West Dallas, Eagle Ford and Cement City have a rich history worthy of recognition and protection.  

 
  
 
The Eagle Ford School 1601 Chalk Hill Road
PDF Print E-mail
 
The Eagle Ford School Today

The following is an excerpt from the Landmark Designation Report prepared by Marcel Quimby of Quimby/McCoy Preservation Architecture, commissioned by the Dallas Mexican American Historical League and partially funded by a grant provided by the Old Oak Cliff Conservation League. 

{The Eagle Ford School was built in 1923 and is Gothic Revival architectural style.

The historic significance of the Eagle Ford School is twofold with the first being its direct association with
several historic communities in western Dallas County that the school served - the Eagle Ford community,
Trinity Portland Cement Company's residential villages, Arcadia Park (an unincorporated community) and
rural residents in this area of the county. Second, Eagle Ford school is the only remaining building
associated with the Eagle Ford community and the Trinity Portland Cement Company, the largest
manufacturer of portland cement and other cement products in Dallas county from 1909 until 1970.

Eagle Ford School typically provided elementary and middle school education. Most smaller school
districts and Dallas County Schools during this time did not have high schools. However Mrs. Bosse,
noted in a later interview with the Dallas Morning News that prior to annexation by Dallas Schools in
1928, Eagle Ford School provided a high school department.55 Students who wished to pursue high school
could attend the nearby Cement City high school or a Dallas Pubic School high school - either Dallas High
School in downtown Dallas, or Oak Cliff School after 1915.

Bonnie Parker is thought to have attended Eagle Ford School in the 1920s.56 Born in 1910 in Rowena,
Texas, Bonnie, her mother and two siblings moved to Dallas County upon the death of her father in 1914.
The family lived with her maternal grandparents, Frank and Mary Krause in a rural area adjacent to the
Trinity Portland Cement Company.57 It is possible that Bonnie did attend Eagle Ford School (the second or
existing building) during elementary or middle school while living nearby at her grandparent's home. She
later attended Cement City School High School but dropped out in the summer following her sophomore
year and married Roy Thornton on September 25, 1926 (several days before her 16th birthday).

 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>
Page 3 of 112