East Kessler Park is the most eastern of the Kessler Park neighborhoods. Early Dallas families, including the Guggenheims from Switzerland and the Stemmons, once resided in the area. The neighborhood we know today was established in 1937. The neighborhood association, one of the oldest in the city, was organized in 1950. Its borders are Sylvan Avenue, North Beckley Avenue, West Colorado Boulevard and Tom Landry Freeway. Methodist Medical Center, which was built in 1927 on land donated by the Stemmons family, anchors the southeast corner of the neighborhood.
The residential architectural styles range from late 1930's Austin stone to ranch, modern and present-day contemporary. Sizes range from cottages to multi-story houses, including dwellings that climb their hillside lots. The art moderne house at Cedar Hill Road and Colorado Boulevard, built in 1936 as one of the first all-electric residences in the city, retains many original features. Several mid-century modern homes are located here including the former home and studio of AIA award winning architect David Braden.
One of the oldest masonry structures in Dallas County exists in East Kessler Park. S.A. Rush may have begun construction on the house known as the Rock Lodge as early as 1870. It is still a residence and obviously built to last as the limestone walls are two feet thick in some places. The stone was quarried in the neighborhood. This house functioned as a stagecoach stop at one time on a stagecoach trail that was near the house.
The houses in East Kessler Park blend into the chalk cliffs of the hilly, wooded landscape located southwest and within walking distance of downtown Dallas. Coombs Creek and Kidd Springs Creek meander through the neighborhood on their way to the Trinity River. Kessler Parkway Park and the Combs Creek walking and bike trail line the eastern border.
Pleast visit The East Kessler Neighborhood Association Website or Wikipedia for more information.