Fall Home Tour Preview II
PDF Print E-mail
 
S. Clinton - S. Winnetka

A sidewalk stamp in front of this South Winnetka home dates construction to 1917. The custom construction is unique for the area, with walls extending 10 feet underground, providing a storm shelter for the neighborhood. A 1919 Dallas Morning News ad listed the “dandy corner” home for sale at a reduced price of $5,500, well under the $7,500 construction cost, and featured 9 rooms, plastered walls, basement and sleeping porch. According to The Dallas Journal, a 1940 homeowner was denied permit to build a garage, and also denied permit to build an apartment above the garage in 1943.




Since January of 2000, the house on the corner has been a family home. Three children, two adults, a dog, a rabbit, parakeets and hens roam freely. Walls separating kitchen and dining areas were removed to allow ease of flow. One of three chimneys is utilized for kitchen ventilation. A sunroom, patio and outdoor room extend the family living area into the back garden. The master bathroom has been reconfigured for modern plumbing and plaster walls were revealed and sealed. An original claw-foot tub was relocated, remaining a feature of the bath. A side entry was once the carriage drop-off, and today serves as the stair entry and opens to the expanded dining area.



Current owners have re-purposed, removed and collected material whenever possible. Metal ceiling tile in the kitchen once adorned a saloon in Van Zandt County. A newel post found in the attic was used as a terminus for re-built wood stairs. Furniture was built from removed pine wall sheathing. Boards measuring 35 feet are included in the original heart pine flooring on the 2nd level. An upstairs kitchen was converted into a laundry room. The sleeping porch offers a treehouse perch with views of the property and beyond.



The current neighborhood residents recently re-claimed a park near Greiner Middle School, locally known as Page Park,  once fenced and under-utilized by DISD.