2011 Home Tour
2011 BONUS Property - Stevens Park Golf Course
PDF Print E-mail



After you visit our amazing 14 home tour homes this year, you're invited to stop by the newly remodeled Stevens Park Golf Course.  The beautiful 1920's course has been closed for the past year for renovations and it is due to open next week.  A complete new design was undertaken complete with new tee-boxes, greens and 38 new sand bunkers.  

 
2011 Fall Home Tour Preview II
PDF Print E-mail



W. 8th St. - Bishop Arts District

When Reddick W. Shaw commenced building a five-room cottage at 416 W. Eighth St. in April of 1908, Thomas Marsalis’ dream of developing an upscale town called Oak Cliff was 20 years in the past. Marsalis had died in poverty, Oak Cliff had voted for annexation into the City of Dallas, and a private company had laid streetcar tracks across the Trinity River to within one block of Shaw’s construction site. The Dallas Land & Loan Addition II would become a working-class neighborhood instead of a rich enclave.

The modern but humble house cost Shaw just $1.15 per square foot to erect. It sat on a foundation of logs, its internal walls were wooden shiplap covered in wallpaper, and nothing bigger than a 2" by 4" was used above floor level. Reverend George West bought the home from Shaw and lived there ten years, adding a sleeping porch, servants quarters, fruit trees, and a garden. The houses on Eighth St. coexisted with commercial uses surrounding the Seventh St. stop on the North Loop streetcar line. Records indicate 416 8th became a rental property during the 1930s, with houses leasing on the block for just $30 monthly.

 
2011 Fall Home Tour Preview III
PDF Print E-mail



Cedar Hill - East Kessler

Built in 1936 for the World’s Fair and the centennial anniversary of the State Fair of Texas, 1302 Cedar Hill Avenue celebrates its 75th anniversary this year as an architectural icon in East Kessler Park. The Roy Eastus Realty Company selected the site for its elevation and stunning east and west views of the city skyline. More than four-and-a-half miles of electric wire were installed to power state-of-the-art General Electric kitchen appliances, interior lighting, and the outdoor living areas and swimming pool, earning the residence the title of the “Electric House”.

 
2011 Fall Home Tour Preview I
PDF Print E-mail



N. Winnetka Ave. - Kessler Park


This post-war 1947 Tudor Revival home sits on a double lot at the southeast corner of the Kessler Square subdivision. Originally platted in 1923, the majority of lots in this area are laid out on a tight grid, with a regularity of setbacks, stylistic influences, scale, and materials. The majority of this subdivision was built during the 1920's and 1930's with a variety of revival-style cottages and contemporary bungalows.

Although new building materials and styles were utilized in 1947, this home was built in the same fashion as neighboring Tudor homes built in the 1920 and 1930s; the walls have 6” shiplap under the sheetrock and the windows are weighted wood with waive glass panes. Also original are a separate two-car garage, servant’s quarters, and wash room, where laundry was done until the most recent renovations.

 
2011 Home Tour
PDF Print E-mail

 

This year's Old Oak Cliff Conservation League Home Tour will be on October 8 and 9 from 12:00 - 6:00 both days.

Sponsorship and advertising opportunities HERE

 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 Next > End >>
Page 2 of 3