2014 Architecture at Risk List
2. Mission Motel 2012
PDF Print E-mail
 

Built prior to 1944, The Mission Motel is one of many motor-court motels aimed to accommodate travelers along the former turnpike between Dallas and Fort Worth. Historically, this type of architecture appeared after World War II along major roadways, and became known as roadside architecture.

Preservation Dallas included The Mission Motel, along with Alamo Plaza Courts Motel and The Ranch Motel on the 2007 List of Dallas’ Endangered Historic Places, stating that roadside architecture is “presently underappreciated” and these three motor-court motels were in imminent danger of demolition. This statement held true through the demolition of Alamo Plaza.
 
3. Cannon's Village 2012
PDF Print E-mail
 

In July of 1922, Dallas real estate mogul C.S. Mitchell filed an appeal in Federal Court to develop a shopping center on a double lot at the southeast corner of Davis and Edgefield in the Winnetka Heights residential district. Businesses weren’t allowed in residential districts and Mitchell’s plans had been denied by the city. The case was largely seen as a test case for Dallas’s building ordinance that restricted the establishment of business buildings in residential districts. He would have to exhaust the appeals process and it would take until November of that year for the matter to be settled.

Afterwards, Mr. Mitchell declared that he intended “to erect one of the most handsome business buildings in the city” that “will beautify, rather than detract from, the surrounding neighborhood.” To this end, the structure sought to incorporate English Tudor architecture, a slate roof, shrubbery and grass, set backs allowing for cars and “with the exception of one small sign at the corner of the building, the structure will be free of signs or exploitation matter, it is declared.” These things were to help the building blend in with the neighborhood rather than stand out and settle the feathers that had been ruffled with the long drawn out court case.
 
4. Sharrock Cabin 2012
PDF Print E-mail

Sharrock Family Cabin

Few Oak Cliff residents are aware that in Southwest Oak Cliff rests an intact early settlers cabin and barn dating back to around 1847. What sets this apart from John Neely Bryan’s cabin or ones like it is that they are still on the actual site where they were built. While the cabin has been largely shored up and tented by the Dallas Parks Department, the barn has not. It is leaning and moved slightly with out recent rains. Both structures need attention sooner rather than later to preserve this enduring piece of our history that still survives from over 150 years ago.
 
5. 1901 Ramsey 2012
PDF Print E-mail


This commercial structure, built circa 1920, is surrounded by residences and located near the old Dallas Streetcar Line 46, which cut diagonally through the Trinity Heights. Trinity Heights was a subdivision, annexed by the City of Dallas in the 1920’s, with it’s own school system, post office and water facilities.



Henry Braley purchased the Ramsey property in 1918, and it is believed that the building was constructed soon after, based on the 1922 Sanborn Maps. Braley was one of the founders of the Texas Kennel Club in 1898, and he and his wife were active with breeding and showing dogs while living at the Ramsey address.
 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>
Page 5 of 12