2014 Architecture at Risk List
6. 625 N. Ewing Ave. 2012
PDF Print E-mail

George T. Reynolds was the President of the First National Bank of Albany, Texas when he began making frequent trips to Ft. Worth in the late 1800’s. He had interests in cattle and was president of Texas Presbyterian University. He later moved to Dallas in the early 1900’s where he went on to become a member of the Dallas Board of Education. It was then that he built his home on N. Ewing and Sabine.

Built in 1911, the home was Mission in style, ten rooms and built of brick. N. Ewing offered a prime location particularly after the completion of the Houston St. Viaduct in 1912 blocks away. At one time the area was lined with many such mansions. Some remain interspersed throughout the area. A few are in the Lake Cliff Historic District along Marsalis but a few, like this one, rest outside the district and away from its protection.

7. 400 W. Page 2012
PDF Print E-mail

W. C. Lattimore was one of the earliest residents of 400 W. Page.  He started his religious career in Denton in the late 1800’s as a popular Baptist minister while also serving on several boards and committees at Baylor University in Waco. In 1909, he moved to Oak Cliff where he became the pastor at Memorial Baptist Church at Tenth and Beckley. Memorial would go on to merge with Central Baptist Church and become Cliff Temple, which is still located at that corner. Lattimore would go on to remain Associate Pastor until his death in 1940.

Records aren't clear as to when the home was built.  They show Lattimore as the first resident in 1917 but actual building permits are elusive.  Victorian architecture can date back to the late 1800's so it is unclear. In the 1940’s the house was converted to a duplex and the porch was enclosed.

8. T.P. Coal & Oil Co. Station - 247 E. Davis 2012
PDF Print E-mail

Davis Street was the first paved road to Ft. Worth.  It was part of the larger Bankhead Hwy. system.   The Bankhead Hwy. was one of the first paved trans-continental highways in the United States stretching from Washington DC to San Diego and connecting Dallas to the rest of the country by automobile.  Several other routes were lobied for including one through Oklahoma.  The decision to take the highway through Dallas and Oak Cliff rather than some other city or state is arguably one of the single most important decisions affecting the prosperity of our area.  Growth was unprecedented after we were connected and this is the sole reason that so many garages line Davis Street today.

Bankhead Marker

In 1932, the Texas Pacific Coal & Oil Company built Station Number 1343 at the northeast corner of Davis and Madison.  In 1954 the "nice independent service station" in a "good neighborhood" was for sale for a mere $900.
9. Alamo Plaza Hotel Courts Signage 2012
PDF Print E-mail

Early 1930’s motel developer, Edgar Lee Torrance built the first Alamo Plaza Hotel Courts in Waco, Texas, featuring a modified white stucco facade of The Alamo in San Antonio.  Within a few years, the vast chain of motels expanded along side the highway system through various Southern States.

A piece of roadside history is still in tact on Fort Worth Avenue, yet it’s future is uncertain. The developers of Sylvan Thirty demolished Alamo Plaza Hotel and promised Preservation Dallas that the sign would remain and become part of the new development, perhaps moving it’s location. To our knowledge, the Sylvan Thirty design drawings do not indicate the location of the Alamo sign on the property.  Cox Grocers is shown to be where the sign now rests.

<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>
Page 6 of 12